There are two key levers for success:
(1) Remove the demand
- Informed consumers no longer buy commercially-bred puppies nor support businesses that sell them.
(2) Remove the supply
- Regulations that eliminate inhumane and outdated care standards and give dogs the protections they deserve, as well as enforcement of regulations, will pressure millers and pet stores that sell commercially-bred puppies to stop. Reduced profitability means reduced supply.
To move these levers, we need to work outside our core group of true believers and put greater emphasis on mobilizing those less engaged. We must also make the cause accessible to more people and help them better understand its connection to them.
To achieve our vision, we need to gain the support of the public, the help of other organizations working towards this same goal, and the attention of key lawmakers.
We Have Identified 4 Strategic Initiatives to Achieve Our Mission:
- Build a strong national coalition capable of making a real impact.
- Raise public awareness so informed consumers no longer buy puppy mill puppies.
- Advocate for reform that will have the most impact to eliminate inhumane and outdated care standards and give dogs the protections they deserve.
- Collaborate with other animal welfare leaders to accelerate mission achievement.
We Will Focus on a Few Key Metrics
To keep measurement as simple as possible, we focus on just a few key indicators that measure our organization’s strength, performance, and mission impact.
- Strength indicators provide critical insight into our capacity to achieve our mission, such as the size and strength of our organization.
- Performance indicators focus on our activities and the short-term outcomes of those activities.
- Mission impact indicators allow us to assess our progress in realizing our longer-term vision.